Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Catacombs of the Scaled Ones

I had originally made this dungeon map as an alternative entry into my Caverns of Thracia for my open table game. This was to be the 1st level of a 3 level segment, with various sub areas and such. However, I probably will be using another map for the alternative entrance. If I don't use it for the open table, I've been considering running a B/X or similar series of sessions for my mostly d&d 5e players, though that won't be immediate.
Either way, the map has been sitting on my desk unused for a while, so I though I'd share it here in case anyone might find it useful.
The maps where made on Dungeon Painter Studio, with free assets from 2 minute tabletop. I also shared an image with a white floor



My initial thoughts were that this place is an ancient lizardfolk catacombs. In the northern end Yuan-ti were "mining" the tunnels for bones to create undead minions and guards. In the south was the crypt of a group of lizardfolk paladins, who even in death defend their ancestral burial site. And in the centre, a raider band of goblins and some hobgoblin/orc mercenaries had made their base.

In keeping with Caverns of Thracia, I attempted to have multiple entrances and ways down; a main staircase in the centre of the map is an evident entry to the catacombs, with a yuan-ti carved entrance in the north. To the north west is an aerie, the nest of a lrge bird (hard to see on the map as it looks just like any other cave wall), and there was a plan to have a disused well/air shaft lead into another part of the dungeon.
Stairs down are in the northern large hall, and the dark areas are chasms and fissures which all drop down.
Also the room to the east of the lake was meant to be a secret are, the resting place or prison of a devil. Inspired by this Dyson's map, at the bottom of this long shaft is a White Ziggurat, the prison of the Moronic Devil, held here by a chorus of other devils who siphon the power of the Moronic Devil.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment